Monday, December 5, 2011

are you prepared?

One year ago the mountain close to our home caught fire. It went down the opposite side from us and threatened many lives and homes. Families had less than 60 seconds to grab their belongings and evacuate their house. I can only imagine how scary this situation was. But I do imagine, because it could have been us. I am pretty sure I would've been consumed with panic; I would've stood frozen in my home while my thoughts raced to figure out what to grab (and of course I would've run out of time and have nothing to show for it) I wouldn't have been prepared.



My sweet friend Jamie and I have been emailing back and forth for a few months now, bugging each other about getting our emergency kits together. Our goal is to put together a 72 hour kit that we'll have prepared to grab without a moment's hesitation (someday soon, I'm hoping to have a 3 months supply of food and water!) We've come to the conclusion that if we blog our journey of putting together the emergency kits, we'll actually get them finished :)
My religion has always taught the importance of having emergency kits, food and water storage, etc. We all know that natural disasters are very real, and they come with no warning. Jobs and money are scarce these days. So why am I not prepared?
Jamie and I are hoping that some of our bloggy friends will join us in preparing these kits ;) I'm also hoping to get some opinions of what should go into the kit.... I have a plan but I'm hearing more ideas that I never would've thought of myself. For example... condoms! I'm pretty sure that if my husband and I are caught in a natural disaster, I won't want to get knocked up during that stressful time. But I am sure I would NOT have thought to add those to my kit! So please, share your ideas!
Wish me luck as I gather materials for our kits! And if you want to see what Jamie is doing for her family's kits, check out her blog here!

25 comments:

Michelle said...

I would not be prepared for something like that. I have thought about it. Such a scary thought.

Rissy said...

I haven't even thought about this kind of thing since school! you know, when they do the fire safety stuff? I'd always come home FREAKING out, telling my parents we needed those chain ladders and more.

This is the week Courtney! You can get that kit ready this week. I can feel it.


CarissaExplainsItAll

Deveny said...

I really need to get a 72 hr kit as well!
I do however always make sure we're stocked up & never wait until the last minute when something is gone to go buy it (which drives Mr. bonkers). Like TP, contact solution, paper products, canned goods, etc..
Oh, and I never let my gas tank go below half (because the emergency plan is to drive to my parents 2 hrs away to 'regroup').

Carlie said...

That actually is pretty smart to pack; I am glad you said something! We put granola bars we actually like in ours and trade them out. We only have 1 from before I was married that my mom got for me. So I should probably make another now! Thanks for the reminder!

Unknown said...

Fantastic idea! I don't have to worry about that much from where I am (in central MN), but even if I did I imagine I would be like you and just stand while trying to comprehend what my next steps would be.
I know this sounds silly, but the first thing I thought of was bathroom needs! Don't forget good old toilet paper, tampons, deodorant, and other bathroom necessities! (Just thinking about what I always forget when I travel... oh yeah... and undies!!)
: )
GOOD LUCK and keep us posted!!!

Lauryn said...

This is definitely a great idea, and one that too few people think about before they actually need it! I should definitely have at least a small bag packed and ready in case we need it. Hopefully we wont, but you just never know!

Bree said...

Colbs and I were totally just talking about how we need to be more prepared last night! Our church was cancelled to go and help clean up with the aftermath of the wind storm before the storm that was supposed to hit last night. It was such a cool experience and made me realize how true this church really is!! I would love to hear everything you've got to say! Seriously, I would have never thought of condoms either! But GENIOUS, I would not wanna be havin' a baby during terrible times!!

Amanda said...

I never even thought of something like this, but now it's got my wheels turning on putting a kit together!

Anonymous said...

You rock, girlie! I am so glad we're doing this.

Rolled Up Pretty said...

Good idea, we are horrible with this and I remember that fire, SO SCARY!!!

Kendra L. said...

Thanks for being my newest blog follower!! YES---haha one thing I'm pretty sure we didn't put in our emergency kit was Condoms!! That is an EXTREMELY good point lol. One thing my husband and I figured out really fast was that we needed something to put our kits in, and it should probably be one that we could travel with if we needed to leave our home. We bought 2 hiking backpacks, (good quality for comfort and sturdiness and ease of packing on your back, because they are kinda heavy no matter how light you pack!!) from LL Bean. It is good you are getting started!

Liesl said...

Love this idea...how fun and prepared you will be! You crack me up too...knocked up, no, probably not a good time for that! LOL!!!

Liesl :)

Unknown said...

We had these kits growing up. Sheesh we are so not prepared right now. Need to get this done, so proud of you!!!

http://www.stylesoftamaranicole.blogspot.com

Afton said...

I really should get ours started. Bleck.

Emma Frances said...

So smart to blog about it! :] We have some started from my mum but we should really finish them and work on our food and water supply! Thanks for sharing!

Jamie said...

I'm actually working on our kit right now - the wind storm scared me straight!

Janna Renee said...

Hehe the condom line totally made me spew my water, but how true? So not a good time to get knocked up!

Lauren said...

My husband loves being prepared for everything! This is a great post! :)

Chase + Destiny said...

I love this. I need to prepare some 72 hour kits.

Shay said...

Cooper and I talk about this all the time now that we are so far from home- it is so important. Cannot wait to follow you along and hopefully join in

Alycia Grayce (Crowley Party) said...

actually the rubber on condoms wear down with time, so it might be good to also have a years worth of birth control stored away. even though pills have an "experation" date, most doctors say they can last for years!

Shelley said...

Oh my gosh...condoms!! I didnt think of that!! we have food storage and some water but i should redo our packs because we have a baby now too!!

Melanie said...

Girl, this is such a wonderful idea. I was just thinking about this exact thing the other day. My whole though was... " CRAP. I would be soooo unprepared!" Then I went on, & forgot all about it. OMGosh. Condoms, I would have never thought of that either! Can't wait to see other good ideas my friend. Xoxo

Holly said...

Wow, that would be really scary!
Packing and preparing for emergencies is definitely important though.

Digger said...

This is such a great idea! I too have been thinking lots about it and have yet to actually accomplish anything. I'll have to follow along too! :)

Digger
www.digdeeperdesign.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

i admit it. i LOVE hearing from you!