Thursday, January 3, 2013

Mia's birth story

001
40 weeks 4 days 
On Wednesday December 19, I walked into my dr appointment hoping we would be scheduling an induction date for Friday the 21, but knowing they would make me wait until Sunday the 23 (which would have me 1 week overdue). The nurse took my blood pressure and told me it was a little high, I joked and asked if it was high enough to get me induced?! Then my doctor walked in the room and asked, "Wanna have this baby today?!" I responded the only way I knew how.... "Shut up!" ha ha :) He told me, "You're done being pregnant. I can tell, you're just done!" So he called the hospital and set up an induction for midnight! My blood pressure must have truly been high enough to get me in there because they monitored that pretty closely after I had her. Anyway, I went home and called Eric and told him we were going in at midnight! We were both shocked, excited and nervous all at the same time :) I spent the rest of the day cleaning, running errands and getting ready to go to the hospital. Midnight could not come fast enough!
007
Once we got to the hospital they set us up in a room and hooked up my iv. They gave me some pill (I don't remember what it's called) that dissolved in my mouth. It was to help soften my cervix and dilate. Then they started me on an antibiotic and told us to sleep. After 10 minutes I had the nurse back in our room because my body was itching like crazy and felt like it was on fire! I totally had an allergic reaction to the antibiotic (I'm allergic to most antibiotics...so fun!) so she gave me some benedryl and told me to sleep. Shortly after that my contractions were just regular enough that I couldn't sleep. Oh it was a LONG night :) At 8am they started me on pitocin. The nurse had me on a low dose because my contractions were 2 minutes apart or less, and they wanted me and the baby to be able to recover in between. My body had been progressing so well they were guessing I'd have the baby by lunch time. But of course my contractions slowed down once they put my on the pitocin, so weird! I got an epidural around 11am and let me tell you what, that drug is AMAZING! I was terrified to get it but I didn't feel a thing! And of course I couldn't feel the contractions after I received it which was amazing! My doctor broke my water shortly after I got the epidural and then the waiting game was on (as if it wasn't already). Lunch time came and went and Mia still wasn't in position. So we tried different positions of me practically laying on my stomach to get her to drop all the way. My epidural was just right so that I could feel the pressure of the contractions, but no pain. And I could feel the pressure of Mia dropping into position. I suspected it was time to push before the nurse checked me. My parents stopped in to say hi and see how I was doing, but I kicked them out so that we could get the show on the road! (Sorry mom and dad, ha!) Finally my doctor told me I could start pushing. Let me tell you people, pushing is nothing like the movies! You don't just push once or twice and out pops a baby (at least that's not how it normally happens). I pushed 3-4 times during a contraction, 10 seconds each push. My sweet husband was in charge of counting and I'm tellin' ya... he's never counted to 10 so slowly in his life! At least it seemed that way :) I could feel the contractions coming on before they showed up on the screen so they took the monitor off my belly to give more room for skin to skin with Mia. The pressure of baby was pretty intense.... but then the burning started. I told my doctor it was burning and he just said, "oh, I'm SO sorry!" Apparently I had nerves that couldn't be numbed right in the path of Mia.... the burning made me want to hurt someone! Between contractions I just had to lay there with my eyes closed and work through the pain. I couldn't talk or do anything else. At one point they asked if I wanted to reach down and feel her head. I knew that I wanted to, but I couldn't work through the pain enough to do it. I'm still sad about that :( The epidural was so amazing that I hadn't prepared myself for pain during delivery (and obviously I didn't handle the pain well, ha). In the last minute of delivery Mia's heart rate dropped because the cord was wrapped around her neck. My doctor was so calm about it I didn't even know she was in distress! He gave me an episiotomy and told me to push until she came out even though I wasn't having a contraction. I had no problem with that :) As I pushed I heard Eric's voice catch as he was counting. My sweet husband cried as Mia was born! (I ended up pushing for 31 minutes. They say most first time mom's push for at least 2 hours. So I did pretty good!) They placed her on my belly and the only thing I could do was touch her and say, "my baby!" I just kept saying it over and over again. I was in shock that I actually had a baby, and she had a head full of hair :)
011
038
Mia kind of whimpered and whined as they cleaned her off so they took her to a corner of the room and did breathing treatments for about 20 minutes until she really opened up her lungs. They measured her at 19 1/2 inches long, and weighing 7 pounds.
020
My doctor finished his business with me while I downed a Dr Pepper :) I really wanted Dr Pepper but they wouldn't let me drink anything but water during labor, ha ha. Eric just kept going back and forth between me and Mia, making sure we both were okay.
014
They finally brought Mia back to me and I really got to hold her. That's when I lost it and started crying. I couldn't believe I was finally holding my sweet, perfect angel baby. I am so incredibly grateful to my doctor for safely delivering our baby girl, and all the nurses that helped my little family during our stay at the hospital. I could not be more in love with Eric and Mia! I can't believe we're finally a family of 3!
018

54 comments:

Miki {Becoming What I Always Was} said...

I love her story! That's horrible you're allergic to most antibiotics. It's nuts that your sweet baby girl GREW inside of you! She is adorable!

Eryka said...

Way to make me cry! haha SO happy for you!!
XO

Breezy Brie said...

Congrats!! Mia is beautiful. Nice work :)

(However your story definitely makes me want to delay getting pregnant/having a baby for a LONG while!!) lol)

Brie @ Breezy Pink Daisies

SittinPrettyWithSarahG said...

Yay! About time! Sweet little Mia is beautiful already! Congrats Courtney

Suget said...

AWE!!
I am sooo happy for you and Eric.
Mia is too cute and adorable. I cannot wait to meet her.
Also I am so proud of you!! Oh my gosh. I love this story!!

Cara said...

SO sweet! I'm so glad it was a fairly easy delivery for you. She is beautiful. Congrats again and enjoy her!

Mandy@ a sorta fairytale said...

Such a lovely birth story!! And you had a wonderful labor/delivery! That's so awesome!!

Jenn @ Bliss to Bean said...

Oh, she's lovely!! Congrats to you and your husband. :) I am BALLING right now (I hit 40 weeks tomorrow!) and cannot be more excited for my own little girl. Great job delivering her and how awesome that you had such wonderful doctors/nurses. That's so important. Enjoy all the time with your sweet Mia!!!

My Happily Ever After said...

YAY!!! I was so excited for you to post her birth story! I am so glad you had a good experience. (Besides the antibiotic and the burning) :) Your doctor sounds awesome! She is beautiful Courtney! I am so happy and excited for you guys! You are amazing!

Alana Christine said...

Aww that's a great story! My sister in law went in at midnight and didn't have Zoe until 7:47 that night, they ended up having to do a C-section...I'm glad yours didn't turn out that way!!

Meesh said...

Too Sweet for words!! :)
-Meesh :)

Meesh said...

Too Sweet for words!! :)
-Meesh :)

Tess @ AModernSuburbanitesLife said...

I literally reared up! Congrats on being a mommy :)

J and A said...

Amazing!!!! Good work mama! She is beautiful. You did great!! Enjoy her!

raisealittlecain said...

such a sweet story :)
gave me tears of joy!

Unknown said...

Oh, gorgeous mama :). What a beautiful birth story!

Cheers to you and your sweet bubs.

Kristen said...

What a beautiful birth story! So much happiness for you and your sweet family!!

Court said...

beautiful!

Megan said...

She is so precious!! Love the birth story!! Enjoy that sweet baby girl!

Sara said...

Congrats. This made me tear up and get so excited for the birth of my second. What a great birth story and glad you got your Dr.Pepper :)

Allison said...

I love that you wanted a Dr. Pepper immediately. After all that I'd say you earned it. Congrats again and thanks for sharing your story!

Unknown said...

I pushed for 35 minutes!! You're the ONLY other person that I know that didn't push for hours! We ust be in some sort of supe mom club without even knowing it! ;) She's gorgeous Courtney!

Holly said...

First of all, I LOVE her name!! And second, this was so beautiful and made me tear up!! I'm SO happy for you guys, she's beautiful and perfect!!! Congrats!!

Chelsea said...

...And now I'm crying! Congratulations on your beautiful baby girl :) You guys will be amazing parents! I can't wait to watch her grow!

Amira said...

Ahh, I teared up reading this! I am so excited for you and your family. And SOOOO anxious to see what my own birth story will be like, eeeek!

Tiffany @ Austin Family Diary said...

What a great story. So happy everyone is healthy and doing so well :) Mia is beautiful and so are you!

Shay said...

Beautiful story Court- I am so happy she is here! Now lets hurry and get our babes together so they can get married one day!

Laurie @ Stylin Savanna said...

It could be my crazy pregnancy hormones but this post so made me cry, and made me wanna meet my baby girl even more! But I'm enjoying these moments of being pregnant. You look amazing in the photos, you have a beautiful family!

Julie said...

Love it!!! So happy for you guys :)

K said...

Such a sweet story! Congrats again!

Kari said...

Such a sweet story!! :)

So happy for you guys!!

xoxo

Megan said...

Congrats again!! I think it is sweet that he cried. So happy for you and your family.

Whitney Tomlin said...

well, im crying! lol
so happy for you!!

Miranda said...

what a sweet story. glad all went smooth. i got teary reading...so sweet! CONGRATULATIONS!! you're life just got more incredibly amazing...just you wait!!

Savannah said...

What a sweet, sweet birth story! Congrats!

Charlie's Mommy (Beth) said...

What a beautiful and sweet story!! I still crying thinking of my daughter's birth.

Lindsay said...

What a wonderful Christmas gift! :)Congrats to you guys! She is beautiful!

Hilary said...

Aww, so sweet!

Ashley said...

Aww! I love hearing birth stories! Way to go for only pushing 31 minutes! I was 2 and half hours. ugh!

Alyx said...

Awww, I'm so happy I got to read this, and I'm so happy for YOU!!

Hannah/ Mommarazzi said...

beautiful story congratulations!!

Rorie said...

So amazing!!! What a wonderful story!!

Deveny said...

Love birth stories! So glad everything went smoothly for you guys! (she's a doll)

:: ashley :: said...

she is so beautiful courtney, congrats!!

Unknown said...

I love this so much! Good to hear about the epidural! I have always been horrified and nervous about that, so it gives me comfort you shared the same fears and had no problem. Congrats on your gorgeous girl! I sure hope my kids get heads of hair! Enjoy!

Unknown said...

What abeautiful story!! I'n now bawling...thanks a lot!!

Megan said...

What a BEAUTIFUL story!!! Your baby girl is SO SO gorgeous!!!!!

Katrin said...

Thanks for sharing your story! So happy that you are all doing great!

Amanda @ The Modern Betty said...

Congratulations! I always love reading how other mother's experienced birth. She's so, so precious! Enjoy, it's going to pass by way too fast!

Crazy Shenanigans-JMO said...

Aw, that is the sweetest thing. Well besides them having to cut you and feeling the pain. lol, I mean the part after you had her! I'm glad to hear that it wasn't too terribly painful.

Janna Renee said...

31 minutes? You are a CHAMP! She is beautiful, y'all are beautiful, and I couldn't be happier for you guys ;) I'm putting you on my sidebar as another little present. I can't wait to see Mia in her shoes!! (I know it will be a while. Haha)

Kendra L. said...

Wonderful! I love birth stories.

Taylor said...

precious pictures!!!!

Anonymous said...

"As I pushed I heard Eric's voice catch as he was counting. My sweet husband cried as Mia was born!"......I read this while on the phone at work and started to tear up.
So precious!!

Congratulations to the 3 of you! Mia is a beautiful Christmas present!!

Post a Comment

i admit it. i LOVE hearing from you!