Thursday, July 31, 2014

one year and beyond

 dress c/o Sally Sarah Design | bracelet c/o Our Little Pretties
Mia is such a friendly, out going little girl and she LOVES to be around people! We've been very blessed to not really have to deal with separation anxiety (from her, that is. My anxiety over the idea of leaving her for more than a few hours is a different story, ha ha! I'm not sure if I'll ever get over that?) I believe that we can mostly thank Mia's personality for avoiding the difficult stage of separation anxiety!
Ever since Mia was 3 weeks old, I have worked one day a week at the salon. My parents watch her while I work, and it's been so great to get us both out of the house, and for Mia to learn that she can survive with someone else taking care of her besides me. Shortly after Mia turned one, I started taking her to the gym daycare. I stressed over this because I was so worried about the germs she would come in contact with, but the reality was that it was too cold to run outside and Mia would be around those germs at some point in life, why not now? She did great the first few weeks but we did hit a stage where she would start screaming before we even entered the daycare! It shattered my heart into a million pieces, but I kissed my screaming, thrashing baby goodbye and got my workout on. I knew that I was just a few feet away if she didn't calm down (luckily it only took her a couple minutes to forget about me and start having fun each time) and could be there the second she needed me! Luckily this phase lasted maybe two weeks? (I only take her to the daycare two times a week, so the torture was short lived!)
So obviously I don't have much experience with my own child and separation anxiety, but I have experienced it taking care of others children. The best piece of advice I can give is to just be repetitive. It's important for our kids to say goodbye to us, knowing they will see us again! They will learn what coping mechanisms they need to stay happy until mom and dad can rescue them from the big, bad care taker ;) Seriously though, kids really do learn how to cope through these situations! Even though it's killer to let them learn, it's something we have to do! But of course I totally believe that each parent knows their child better than anyone, and you know how far to push your kid and for how long :) Trust your intuition, mommas!! You're all doing an amazing job :)
July 31:  Dealing with Separation Anxiety
Aug 7:    Car Trip Necessities
Aug 14:  Deciding when the time is right for baby #2 (and/or how to handle these questions)
Aug 21:  Tricks for eating out with your toddler
Aug 28:  Feeling confident as a mom (How to feel this way, Your struggle with, etc.)

8 comments:

Kristin said...

I love this! We've been lucky that Kenley hasn't had any separation anxiety either and I 100% agree with your that it's because we have a routine. When the kiddos know to what to expect and are familiar with the process it sets them up for success! :) Love this link-up.

Kristin said...

I love this! We've been lucky that Kenley hasn't had any separation anxiety either and I 100% agree with your that it's because we have a routine. When the kiddos know to what to expect and are familiar with the process it sets them up for success! :) Love this link-up.

Life Happens said...

She is adorable. Love that dress and cute little bracelet. I'm the one that has separation anxiety from my 3 yr old! LOL.

Sarah said...

we use the gym daycare for the same reason! And yes you just need to get past those few weeks where they are crying...although with the new gym we're going to there are WAY more kids and even 3 months later of going twice a week he still cries sometimes. But I know 30 seconds after I leave he's okay. Just need to walk away sometimes, and hope/cross your fingers that they don't call me over the PA.

Anonymous said...

I love her facial expressions!

Danielle said...

Oh- such a good topic!! Milo often doesn't freak out until he sees us afterwards, because he realizes we were gone! He does alright but is definitely more comfortable with his mom and dad, and honestly I think I suffer from separation anxiety more than he does sometimes!

Ashleigh said...

I love her little dress! Its too precious... She is just a doll & keeps getting cuter the more she grows!

Liesl said...

The little ones sure do grow up quickly, but what cutie she is, and I see more and more of both of you in her...love it! :) Also, I love your advice, I think that is so important, a sense of routine and repetitiveness, especially, saying goodbye, so that they know you will be back! <3

Post a Comment

i admit it. i LOVE hearing from you!